Thursday, October 25, 2012

Training........

The training of a dog can be approached with a million different methods just to accomplish the same goals; I’m not going to go into it real deep on how to actually train your dog many others have and have done a great job writing about it, but I am about to tell you what I do and how I go about training my dogs.
I take a totally different approach to the training of my dogs, and again I say “every dog is an individual and has its own individual needs”; meaning when I first think about getting a dog I figure out what sex Male or Female and what the dogs projected purpose will be.  Show, agility, protection, obedience, or just a pet; this helps me foresee the correct way to train this individual dog.  Although some of the dogs may have a main job like protection, obedience, or whatever it may be; I feel they should be treated as pets.
One suggestion I have for everyone is to do your homework, learn about the breed or mix you are getting before you actually get the dog it is always good to try and understand your breed or breeds (mixes) characteristics like:
Digging
Barking
Jumping
Nipping (it’s a difference between a nip and a bite)
This in the long run will help you find the correct way to train your dog or fix unwanted behaviors if any; but keeping in mind that every dog is a individual and the training may need to be adjusted to fit that dog.
All my dogs learn the basics:COME, SIT, LAY, STAY
Some say what about heel?  I feel all dogs or pups should walk at your side at all times unless they were told to be out front, that’s just me.  The reason I say all dogs learn the basics is because it is just that the basics, the building blocks to any intended goal.  One of my favorite reference books on the basics of dog training is The Koehler Method of Dog Training by William Koehler.  A really good read!

Christopher W. Jones

Contact Information:
Email: thenovacainkennels2014@gmail.com