Thursday, November 1, 2012

Raw Food

BARF, RAW, or NATURAL DIET, how ever you want to call it, we must start by agreeing and understanding that all dogs are different and so are their activity levels and feeding requirements.  For years I fed a great quality commercial dog food, until it was discontinued, but I always added a little fresh meat with bone, or pieces of fruit to my dog’s bowls as treats. While being faced with having to find a new feed, I decided to do research and talk to breeders who fed a Natural diet only, then I decided to give it a try. What I noticed right away was the dog odors disappeared. Then it was the undeniable change in the quality of their coats, mental and muscle development, and overall health and stability of my dogs.

When I started feeding my dogs a Raw diet, I was told that a good and easy rule of thumb is to feed (1) pound of RAW food for every (50) pounds of the dog’s Body Weight, for at least 2 weeks, while keeping an eye on the dogs to see if an increase or decrease in quantity is needed, to fit each individuals needs.

I feel that a dog’s diet should be 30%-50% Muscle Meats, 30%-50% Raw Meaty Bones (RMB), 10%-20% Organs, and 5%-10% vegetables, fruit, herbs, and eggs. Now you're saying hold up, why so big of a percentage range; the simple answer is there is not one formula that is perfect for every dog, things need to be tweaked to fit each individual dog. When it comes to the use of GRAINS, I only use what my dogs can handle, because it’s a fact that many dogs are allergic to grains the most common being Wheat, Corn, and Soy. 

INFO UPDATED 12-17-2016

Christopher W. Jones

Contact Information:
Email: thenovacainkennels2014@gmail.com