Thursday, October 25, 2012

Show Dogs............

When working with my dogs I stack (have my dogs stand squarely and still) and work on gating (have my dogs move in a way to allows the judge to see their movement and structure) for about 5 to15 minutes a day.  I start stacking my new pups the day I get them so the pup becomes accustomed to it quickly. If I bred this particular pup I start stacking as soon as the pups are able to stand strong on their own. I think the key to having a great show dog is building a personal relationship meaning; talk to your dog different “oh excellent, you looking sexy, oh yea, they staring at you baby”, spend extra riding time and introducing your dog to as many new people as possible, stacking your dog when greeting someone new and make sure you get some kids in there this goes a long way when in the show ring. Things like that, your dog will respect (trust) you more for doing it. Inside the show ring they will demand all eyes on them showing everyone that you as the handler and the dog itself are on the same page.

Christopher W. Jones

Contact Information:
Email: thenovacainkennels2014@gmail.com