Monday, May 27, 2013

Clifford Ormsby.......

 
" When a breeder does establish a good line, he will do well to keep his quality and not slip backwards. It is not easy as his best dogs get old and perhaps an outcross becomes necessary. Knowledge, advice, and criticism are always free as water but, as we see breeder after breeder fall by the wayside, one realizes determination and work are most important." - Clifford Ormsby
 
"It's important to keep the breed strong, and sound and healthy." - Clifford Ormsby
 
"You 've got to have an outcross now and then, too....Sometimes you think you're outcrossing and you're not outcrossing as much as you think." - Clifford Ormsby
 
" Well, I was always interested in animals and dogs from the time I was a little kid....I remember my first experience. I was going to spend my summer vacation with my aunt and uncle over on the Vandermark and they said, "Don't touch Buster, he bites." Well, hell, I had Buster under my thumb in nothing flat Nothing to it. They thought that I was remarkable, because others hadn't manipulated him the way I had, you know." - Clifford Ormsby  
 
" I wasn't limited by breeding too close when I bred, because what I was using was so much outcrossed. So, if you start in with stuff that is already close bred, that's when you're going to get in trouble." - Clifford Ormsby.
 
"Alberta was teaching Dr.Roll how to show.......and Colonel Schuhmann was watching the whole thing and he said," I'll tell you something Doc,"he says, "You got to get the X-Pert on 'em before you are going to win." - Clifford Ormsby 
 
"Now, Buck was a good looking pup and a good looking dog. You know, people come in and they say, I think that one there is the best one.That would be Buck." - Clifford Ormsby
 
Best American Staffordshire Terrier in the show. That Jim Rathbun, who called Mrs.Beers, he handled Tony to his championship and then he handled him to Best of Breed down in New York. He'd come over and he'd say,"I'll be over after him in about fifteen minutes. Come on Tony Balloney." Heh-heh-heh. He worked everything on Tony. He'd go out into that ring, in Madison Square Garden. He'd notice everything in that room. Everything was of interest to Tony. And right away, the judge looked at him. I said,"From the way he looked at him and from the way he was performing," I says, "Boy, he ought to win." And he did. When the judge wasn't looking, the handler went like this at me. ...He was quick on that. She never knew he'd made the motion. Oh, he was great! He was the best man. He charged me more money than the rest of 'em. What was that I tell 'ya? Twenty-five wasn't it? About five dollars more than anybody else. Except that, the trouble of it was, "if I don't charge the same, they're going to talk about me," handler says. He was good all right. Oh, he & Tony worked perfectly. He understood Tony and Tony understood him. And the judge was looking at the dog and looking at him and he says, "He's got it all right, she's got her eye on him." You can tell, you know. Once she turned her face and she couldn't see him, he went like this to me. It's a good advertisement, having a Staff like that, a winner at the Garden, you know." - Clifford Ormsby

Christopher W. Jones

Contact Information:
Email: thenovacainkennels2014@gmail.com